Christian E. Y. Liu, CPA, CMA
116 Moorehouse Drive, Toronto, ON M1V 2E1
(647) 460-5175 – Liu.Christian@gmail.com
SUMMARY OF QUALIFICATION
· Excellent experiences in financial analysis, forecasting, budgeting, reporting, cost control, business valuation (PPA, transfer pricing, IP valuation, cross-border & international technology), corporate valuation (M&A, Comps, LBOs, DCFs), and start-up valuation (Market, Income, Cost).
· Solid knowledge of accounting standards, policies and regulations for IFRS, ASPE, and U.S. GAAP.
· Excellent communication of technical and complex business cases to management and departments.
· Advanced technical skills in Microsoft Office (MS Excel, Word, Access& PowerPoint), Dashboard creation, QuickBooks Enterprise, Capital IQ, Bloomberg, SQL, Ariba, BW Analyzer, TM1, SAP, SAS, SPSS, Tableau, HP ALM, Salesforce, Cognos, MS GP/NAV.
· Fluent in English, Tagalog (Filipino) and Taiwanese; conversational in French, Japanese, and Mandarin.
CPA (Chartered Professional Accountant), CMA (Certified Management Accountant),
CPA (Ontario) Canada, Toronto, ON, Canada, Designated since 2015.
Masters in Business Administration (MBA),
Imperial College Business School, London, UK, 09/2016 – Present
Certificate, Negotiation Mastery, 01/2017 – 04/2017
Certificate, HBX CORe: Credential of Readiness (Pre-MBA), 01/2016 – 04/2016
Harvard Business School, Cambridge, MA, USA,
Certificate, Data-Driven Marketing,
Johnson Graduate School of Management – Cornell University, Ithaca, NY, USA, 01/2015 – 12/2015
Honours Bachelor of Arts in Economics and Public Policy,
University of Toronto, Toronto, ON, Canada, 09/2004 – 06/2008
Independent Contractor 01/2013 – Present
Senior Financial Analyst, Thales Canada, Royal Bank of Canada, Janssen, Inc. (a J&J Company), Toronto, ON, Canada
· Created and maintained project finance financial models for all of Thales Canada using SAP and Excel at advanced levels for forecasting, budgeting, variance analysis, and financial reporting.
· Created and maintained Standard Operation Documents (SODs) and Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) for RBC’s Caribbean division through its Attestation Center of Excellence (ACE) Best Practices.
· Used Peoplesoft General Ledger and other accounting systems to reconcile accounts to tie back to sources received from regional business partners, while providing monthly variance, forecasts, and budget reports to various regions and management.
· Heavily involved in the global system upgrades for SAP, Cognos, Concur, Ariba, Tableau, HP ALM, and TM1 across Johnson & Johnson’s pharmaceutical, consumer, and medical devices divisions.
Financial Analyst, Cipher Pharmaceuticals, The G&L Group, The Source (Bell) Electronics,
Greater Toronto Area, ON, Canada,
· Performed sales, gross margin, inventory, P&L, and variance analysis for various departments, business units, and executive team used to assist in key management decisions.
· Led and established Cipher’s COSO 2013 framework that sets governance and operational performance, internal control, enterprise risk management, and fraud deterrence for SOX compliance.
· Co-led the implementation of Concur enterprise (expensing tool) in Canada and with the integration of the chart of accounts between Cipher’s Canadian and US divisions through QuickBooks Enterprise, and various financial reporting tools to allow cross-border consolidated reporting.
· Prepared schedules and packages for external auditors, kept amortization schedules for all intangible assets through license/distribution rights, continuously tested goodwill for impairments, and maintained M&A transactions milestones and contracts for asset purchases.
· Performed cost analysis, variance analysis, activity-based costing, managerial/cost accounting, and financial analysis related to fuel management, 407 and logistics, dispatch, manufacturing, and haulage
· Saved the company 50% off its utilities for the next 5 years, increased fuel profitability by 8-10% in a very low profit margin industry, negotiated agreements to get the best prices possible for the company, and took lead in software project planning, execution, and implementation for its truck centre
· Extensive use of OpenText BI Query, Oracle Retail Management, MS Excel, and Infovisionix to develop and enhance financial models for effective reporting and analysis for trends and variances
Associate, Valuation, Sorbus Advisors, LLC, San Francisco, CA, USA, 01/2011 – 12/2012
· Performed business valuation for enterprises and legal entities for tax planning and M&A due diligence, intangible assets (IP) for financial reporting and tax compliance, and securities for companies with complex capital structures.
· Assisted with performing multiple industry analysis, economic analysis, math checks, and valuation reports writing by extracting M&A and public data from Capital IQ and SEC’s Edgar system.
· Collaborated in developing and utilizing advanced financial models to arrive at value indications, and conducted research on market conditions and trends to develop valuation opinions.
Associate, Venture Capital, Sente Capital Management, LLC, San Mateo, CA, USA, 10/2010 – 06/2011
· Drafted several key and highly confidential documents, and prepared slide decks and reports used for raising funds for companies from investors ranging from $100,000 to $10 million.
· Engaged in detail-oriented due diligence research and valuation modelling on industry trends to assess and write recommendation reports to partners and investors for potential investment opportunities.
Financial Analyst, Credyn Inc., Santa Clara, CA, USA, 11/2009 -10/2010
· Developed and documented accounting systems, policies, and procedures for efficient reporting, and maintained day-to-day accounting transactions in financial databases.
· Presented detailed financial reports and analysis of company finances, and extensive research of market, industry, and sector trends to develop sound policies, competitive strategies, and compliance.
· Assisted with annual budgets, prepared corporate taxes (IRS), and provided internal accounting support.
Analyst (Contract), BMO Financial Group, Toronto, ON, Canada, 10/2008 – 11/2009
· Developed and documented several procedure manuals for programs across the bank, and monitored large transactions monthly while continuously look for process flow improvements.
· Performed internal audits and bank reconciliations for over 5,000 transactions on a monthly basis.
· Executed monthly reporting and analysis of transactions while monitoring key metrics from past months and years to ensure budget and cash management is within acceptable benchmarks.
Mentor, Futurpreneur (Formerly Canadian Youth Business Foundation) 11/2011 – Present
Member, Business Advisory Board, Enactus/SIFE UTSC 10/2011 – Present
Director, Canadian Business Strategy Association 11/2011 – 11/2013
Board Member, University Council, University of Toronto Scarborough 01/2012 – 07/2013
Member, Planning & Budgeting Committee, University of Toronto Scarborough 01/2012 – 07/2013
Director, University of Toronto Scarborough Alumni Association 01/2011 – 01/2012